Powered by Blogger.

Definition List

Sample Text

Search This Blog

Welcome to the Green Book Blog...

Sunday, 22 June 2014

Alcohol and other drugs are always in the news but when we have to talk about them, especially if we need information or support, it can be difficult.

Many of us feel we could do with a little more information or support, whether it’s for ourselves, our family or friends, or for our community.

Information and support is available, and The Green Book Blog will share insights into the alcohol and other drug issues that face our state, the services that are available, the people who offer these services, and the people who are most affected by problems related to alcohol and other drug use.

If you’re looking for information and support now, you’re not alone -
  • In 2011 there were 22,869 calls reported by the Alcohol and Drug Information Service (including calls to Quitline), an increase from 20,562 calls in 2010. 1
  • In 2011/12 there were 18,501 closed alcohol and other drug treatment episodes in Western Australia. 2
  • In 43% of these treatment episodes, alcohol was the primary drug of concern, followed by cannabis (21%), amphetamines (18%) and heroin (8%).
  • 60% of treatment episodes were for people receiving counselling.
Alcohol and other drug services operate throughout WA. Counselling is the most common form of treatment, with other services offered including withdrawal and detoxification, residential rehabilitation, needle and syringe exchange, group therapy, pharmacotherapy and advocacy.

Some of these terms may be unfamiliar, and that’s one of the reasons why we’ve started the Green Book Blog – to share more about the services offered.

Services are mostly provided by not-for-profit organisation and government services and are not limited to the metropolitan area, particular regions, or particular people.

Information and support is available in languages other than English and there are services available specifically for young people, women, men, and Aboriginal people.
If you need more information about the services available, you have options -
  • The Green Book – A Directory of Alcohol and other Drug and Mental Health Services in WA – Here you can browse services by category, search for services, download the Green Book mobile application for the Apple or Android phones or order print copies.
  • The Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) – Call or email ADIS for confidential, free counselling 24 hours / seven days a week.
  • Your General Practitioner – Your GP may be able to offer information, support or referral if you have concerns  about alcohol and other drug use – either your own or that of a loved one.
  • Your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provider – Many workplaces offer an Employee Assistance Program that offers free, confidential counselling to employees.
If you would like to know more about the alcohol and other drug or mental health sectors (maybe you’re considering a career in our field or considering some research), you have options too -
Or take the time to read the Green Book Blog, ask questions, and learn more. That’s why we’re here…

1. Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS), Drug and Alcohol Office. Perth, WA (accessed 2 March 2012) in Pulsecheck, Issue 6, 2012)
2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2013. Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Services in Australia 2011–12. Drug treatment series 21. Cat. no. HSE139. Canberra: AIHW.

1 comment



The Green Book Blog is a project of WANADA

My Blog List